Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you should let your brain have a break. You don’t have to open a textbook to give yourself a cerebral boost. There are many entertaining ways to feed this important organ.
1. Engage in brain hieroglyphics (reading picture to make single word or phrase).
2. Complete Suduko puzzles.
3. Participate in online Brain Games.
4. Do a jigsaw puzzle.
5. Play the game “If I go to (name location), I would take (item).” Each participant names an item and when it’s your turn, you must say each item in the correct order and then add your own item to the list.
6. Check out online math arcades
7. Play chess with a friend or family member. If you don’t know how, learn to play online first.
8. Challenge a friend to a game of checkers
9. Test your geographical knowledge of the USA with this fun game.
10. Do a word search.
You can find many inexpensive game books at dollar stores or play online.
11. Play a strategic board game such as Battleship, Guess Who?, Backgammon or Apples to Apples.
12. Play a game of “memory” using a deck of cards.
13. Write a poem or song.
14. Grab some chalk and a friend and play tic-tac-toe on the sidewalk.
15. Draw or paint a picture (make it more difficult by creating with your non-dominant hand).
16. Play an instrument.
17. Participate in AT LEAST 30 minutes of physical activity each day.
18. Eat foods that are good for your brain, including blueberries, wild salmon, nuts and seeds, avocados and whole grains.
19. Sleep at least 8 hours each night.
20. Unplug. If it takes batteries or requires electricity, take a break from it. Let your mind take a rest from the normal distractions that the day brings. (This is the perfect time to mentally escape in a book!)