Lodinews.com

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

Monday Musings: Holiday dinner disasters

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 5:59 pm | Updated: 6:42 pm, Mon Nov 15, 2010.

Happy Monday! I'm starting a new feature today called Monday Musings. It will be a random topic for people to discuss, and I'll usually avoid city politics. Most of the time it will be something silly — like zombie attack strategies or favorite office games.

Hopefully, I will be able to keep this up every Monday, and it will be a enjoyable, light read to start your week. 

We will start with a trip down memory lane. Every year, people hustle into grocery stores, pick up absurd amounts of food and hurry home to spend days, if not weeks, crafting the perfect meal.

The plan is mapped out on 10 pages of notebook paper. Each individual ingredient is separated into individual bowls. The table is set with your finest linens.

And then you look into the freezer and realize you never bought a turkey. Or your oven mitts suck, and you drop the mashed potatoes on the floor. Or you trip over the perfectly laid out runner and spill wine on your great Aunt Sally.

Holidays never turn out like fairy tales, and we want to hear about all of your holiday dining disasters. What went wrong in your kitchen or at the dining room table? 

Most of our meals have gone fairly smoothly, but I do remember when I was about 9 or 10, we went over to my aunt's house to eat dinner and open a few presents on Chistmas Eve. Being true Americans, my family with the exception of me gorged on the most patriotic food around: Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Luckily I skipped the meal because I was going through a picky eater phase, because everyone suffered from a two-day streak of food poisoning that made Christmas less than cheery.

So it's your turn. Send in your stories. Feel free to leave a comment here, but also contact me at maggiec@lodinews.com or 389-7035, so we can use your story in the paper.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, food poisoning free, week.

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don’t pretend you’re someone else.)
  • 2 Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually oriented language.
  • 3 Don’t threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 4 Be truthful. Don't lie about anyone or anything. Don't post unsubstantiated allegations, rumors or gossip that could harm the reputation of a person, company or organization.
  • 5 Be nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don’t insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the ‘Report’ link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 8 Share what you know, and ask about what you don't.
  • 9 Don’t be a troll.
  • 10 Don’t reveal personal information about other commenters. You may reveal your own personal information, but we advise you not to do so.
  • 11 We reserve the right, at our discretion, to monitor, delete or choose not to post any comment. This may include removing or monitoring posts that we believe violate the spirit or letter of these rules, or that we otherwise determine at our discretion needs to be monitored, not posted, or deleted.

Welcome to the discussion.

1 comment:

  • posted at 10:34 am on Wed, Nov 17, 2010.

    Posts:

    My husband and I were busy putting the finishing touches on our Thanksgiving feast and had our backs to the table. Our (at the time) 3-year old son, Christian, was standing by the table. "Hot, Mommy, hot", he says. Never turning around I responded, "Yes, yes Honey, its hot stand back". Again..."Hot Mommy, hot" and again, "Yes I know Honey". Next time he was more insistent. "HOT! MOMMY HOT!" he yelled, as Jim and I turned around to see that the candles had tipped over and set the table on fire with Christian's little fingers clinging to the edge of the table. "CHRISTIAN! THE WORD IS FIRE!!!" We put out the flames, placed the mashed potatoes over the burned area and carried on with our dinner.

     

Popular Stories

Poll

Loading…

Mailing List

Subscribe to a mailing list to have daily news sent directly to your inbox.

  • Breaking News

    Would you like to receive breaking news alerts? Sign up now!

  • News Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily news headlines? Sign up now!

  • Sports Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily sports headlines? Sign up now!

Manage Your Lists