default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Lodi man taken to hospital after courtroom ruckus

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 10:00 pm

A Lodi man in court Thursday for alleged probation violations was taken to Lodi Memorial Hospital after he became violent with sheriff's deputies and passed out as a result of what authorities called "methamphetamine-induced psychosis."

Jeremy Robert Raphael, 23, of Lodi, shackled and handcuffed in an orange jumpsuit, started hitting sheriff's deputies as they attempted to bring him from the courtroom back to his cell, said Acting Capt. David Main of the Lodi Police Department.

After a short, violent struggle, Raphael stopped breathing and needed to be resuscitated, Main said.

Raphael was in stable condition Thursday afternoon after being transported from Lodi Memorial Hospital to San Joaquin General Hospital.

"He had high levels of meth in his body," sheriff's spokeswoman Nellie Stone said.

Raphael was in sheriff's custody but was being held in the Lodi Jail awaiting his court appearance. He was scheduled to be in Lodi Municipal Court for failing to comply with his terms of probation following his conviction Jan. 19 for driving under the influence and speeding.

Prior to his court appearance, he was jumping around his cell, yelling and screaming, Stone said. Other prisoners started to threaten him, at which point he was moved to a different cell to avoid any type of escalation, Stone said.

As sheriff's deputies took him to the courtroom, Raphael started to act out again.

"He started saying, 'No, no, I can't go in there,' and resisting the deputies," Stone said.

Judge Robert Baysinger ordered a psychological evaluation instead of forcing Raphael to appear in court, and Raphael was escorted back to his jail cell.

But as deputies tried to put him back into the cell, Raphael began to scream and resist again.

"The officers were trying to grab him and put him into the cell and he started being combative," Stone said.

After he was subdued and face-down on the cement floor of the jail, Raphael started to bang his head against the floor, Stone said.

He then passed out and stopped breathing.

Sheriff's Deputy Jim Mize conducted CPR while Lodi police officers did chest compressions. After Raphael was revived, emergency personnel arrived to transport the inmate to the hospital.

One Lodi police officer, Detective Brian Scott, injured his shoulder slightly in the scuffle, Main said.

Comments about this story? Send mail to the News-Sentinel newsroom.


To subscribe to the Lodi News-Sentinel, fill out our online form or call our Subscriber Services Department at (209) 333-1400.



New Classifieds Ads


Mailing List

Subscribe to a mailing list to have daily news sent directly to your inbox.

  • Breaking News

    Would you like to receive breaking news alerts? Sign up now!

  • News Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily news headlines? Sign up now!

  • Sports Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily sports headlines? Sign up now!

Manage Your Lists