default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Not optimistic for Mideast peace

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2001 10:00 pm

In her commentary (“Reader responds to columns on Mideast,” Lodinews.com, Nov. 27), Lauri Merrill stated, in part, “How can there be peace when Islamic nations’ basic demand is that Israel cease to exist?”

After World War II ended, I was stationed in a camp for displaced people. Although we could not fraternize with the German people, we could visit freely with the displaced people, mostly from Poland, and from them we learned about the Holocaust.

As young men, we could not grasp the enormity of the whole thing. I visited Dachau, where 250,000 men, women and children had died and were burned in the ovens.

When the Army newspaper, the “Stars & Stripes” reported that the Jews were going to be able to return to their Biblical homeland in Palestine, I thought that was great, because I had read somewhere that the Arabs, Christians and Jews had lived in peace before.

Then, in my opinion, the fledgling United Nations blew it. It decided to partition Palestine, where 80 percent of the country would make up the new state of Israel, and the remaining 20 percent would be annexed to Jordan, and at the same time, stated, “As a political entity Palestine ceases to exist.” How did the U.N. expect the newly formed Arab League to take this?

I hoped that somehow the Arab states would allow Israel to live in peace, but the way things are going, I’m sorry to say I’m not very optimistic.

Walter White Lodi

Got an opinion? Send us an e-mail or use our handy letters to the editor form.


To subscribe to the Lodi News-Sentinel, fill out our online form or call our Subscriber Services Department at (209) 333-1400.

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Use your real name. You must register with your full first and last name before you can comment. (And don’t pretend you’re someone else.)
  • 2 Keep it clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually oriented language.
  • 3 Don’t threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 4 Be truthful. Don't lie about anyone or anything. Don't post unsubstantiated allegations, rumors or gossip that could harm the reputation of a person, company or organization.
  • 5 Be nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 6 Stay on topic. Make sure your comments are about the story. Don’t insult each other.
  • 7 Tell us if the discussion is getting out of hand. Use the ‘Report’ link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 8 Share what you know, and ask about what you don't.
  • 9 Don’t be a troll.
  • 10 Don’t reveal personal information about other commenters. You may reveal your own personal information, but we advise you not to do so.
  • 11 We reserve the right, at our discretion, to monitor, delete or choose not to post any comment. This may include removing or monitoring posts that we believe violate the spirit or letter of these rules, or that we otherwise determine at our discretion needs to be monitored, not posted, or deleted.

Welcome to the discussion.


Popular Stories



Your News

News for the community, by the community.

Mailing List

Subscribe to a mailing list to have daily news sent directly to your inbox.

  • Breaking News

    Would you like to receive breaking news alerts? Sign up now!

  • News Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily news headlines? Sign up now!

  • Sports Updates

    Would you like to receive our daily sports headlines? Sign up now!

Manage Your Lists