Three Lodi churches will host a community Easter service at Lodi Lake on Sunday.
First Baptist, Vinewood Community and Lodi Community churches will share the Lodi Lake youth amphitheater beginning at 6 a.m.
I think its a great idea, said Jim Harvey, pastor of Lodi Community Church, which is participating for the first time this year. Our people dont hear (First Baptists Senior Pastor) Steve Newman. We dont hear another churchs music.
The idea of having a community service began several years ago when First Baptist and other churches competed for use of the Lodi Lake youth amphitheater for the Easter sunrise service, said Dane Burg, First Baptists pastor of worship and Curt Vogt, associate pastor at Vinewood.
Two years ago, Newman called Vinewood and asked, Why dont you join us? said Dane Burg.
This year, Lodi Community Church joined the fold.
Were hoping to build upon that, Burg said. It kind of gets you out of your own shell. It allows us to worship and mingle with other people.
In addition to the community sunrise service, First Baptist will have Resurrection services at its own church at 9 and 11 a.m.
In another public event, Century Assembly Church will host an Easterfest for children and teen-agers from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today in the churchs front parking lot at 550 W. Century Blvd.
Activities will include a 10,000-piece candy and egg hunt for all ages, skateboarding, an obstacle course, a caterpillar tunnel and other games. Live Christian music, a kids choir, a puppet show and drama skits will also be featured.
Children under 12 will get a free hot dog, chips and a drink. Other food will be sold.
Century Assemblys Easter celebration services will begin at 10:15 a.m. Sunday, with super church for children taking place at the same time.
Other Easter services and activities include:
- Bear Creek Community Church, 11171 N. Lower Sacramento Road, Lodi: Easter services at 9 and 10:45 a.m. Sunday.
- Calvary Chapel of Lodi, 1230 S. Central Ave., Lodi: Service at 10 a.m. Sunday.
- Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, 420 S. Central Ave., Lodi: Sunrise song service 7:30 a.m., breakfast 8:30, Easter Mass service, 10 a.m.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Galt First and Second Wards, 972 Vintage Oak Ave., Galt: First Ward, 9 to 10:10 a.m. Sunday; Second Ward, 1 to 2:10 p.m.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Lodi First and Second Wards, 1510 W. Century Blvd., Lodi: First Ward service at 9 a.m., Second Ward service at 1 p.m.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Lodi Third Ward, 731 N. Ham Lane, Lodi: Service at 10 a.m.
- Emanuel Lutheran Church, 1540 W. Lodi Ave., Lodi: Easter sunrise service at 6 a.m.; breakfast at 7 a.m.; worship services at 8:15 and 11 a.m.; Easter egg hunt at 10:15 a.m.
- English Oaks Seventh-day Adventist Church, 1260 W. Century Blvd., Lodi: Loma Linda Mens Chorus conducting service at 11 a.m. today.
- Episcopal Church of St. John the Baptist, 310 W. Locust St., Lodi: Easter vigil at 9 tonight followed by the Easter feast; Easter services at 7:30, 9 and 11 a.m. on Sunday.
- Faith Fellowship Church, 500 W. Park St. at South Hutchins Street, Lodi: Upper Room Productions will present The Comforter Has Come at 10 a.m. Sunday. New Testament characters will come alive in song and dance. Easter egg hunt and free continental breakfast at 9 a.m. No admission charge, but contributions are welcome.
- Family of Life Christian Church, in Galt: Services at Marengo Ranch Elementary School, 1000 Elk Hills Drive. Easter sermon at 9 and 10:45 a.m. Kids celebration by childrens ministry.
- First Baptist Church, 653 A St., Galt: Easter services at 8:30 and 10:45 a.m.; special showing of the film Jesus at 6 p.m.
- First United Methodist Church, 200 W. Oak St., Lodi: Sunrise worship on lawn at 6:30 a.m., early risers worship with Chancel Choir at 8:15 a.m., floral cross decorations at 9:30 a.m., cathedral worship with Chancel Choir at 10 a.m., contemporary worship at 11 a.m.
- Galt Bible Church, 801 Church St., Lodi: Sunrise service at 7 a.m., morning worship service at 10 a.m.
- Galt United Methodist Church, 571 C St., Galt: Easter egg hunt at 11 a.m. today at Myrick Ranch, 25570 North Highway 99 Frontage Road off Collier Road, Acampo; sunrise Easter service at 6:30 a.m. Sunday at park at Fourth and C streets, Galt; Easter celebration service at 10 a.m. Sunday at the church.
- Grace Presbyterian Church, 10 N. Mills Ave., Lodi: Sunrise service, conducted entirely by the churchs youth group, at 6:30 a.m.; celebration, praise and renewal service at 8:30 a.m.; brunch and Easter egg hunt at 9:30 a.m.; traditional service at 10:30 a.m.
- Ham Lane Church of Christ, 600 S. Ham Lane, Lodi: Easter service at 10:45 a.m.
- Heartland Community Church, 651 N. Cherokee Lane, Lodi: Easter services at 8, 9:30 and 11 a.m. Drama and music featured. Programs for children up to fifth grade during each service.
- Horizon Community Church, Galt High School gym, 145 N. Lincoln Way: Services at 9 and 11 a.m. Nursery service available for up to age 2.
- Lockeford Seventh-day Adventist Church, 19900 Elliott Road, Lockeford. Service at 11 a.m. Saturday.
- Lodi Avenue Baptist Church, 2301 W. Lodi Ave., Lodi: Service at 11 a.m.
- New Hope Assembly of God, 200 New Hope Road, Galt: Community Easter egg hunt and puppet show at 10 a.m. Saturday; Easter service at 10 a.m. Sunday.
- Redeemer Lutheran Church, 1845 S. Ham Lane, Lodi: Easter service at 10 a.m.
- River of Life Celebration Center, services at Greer Middle School, 248 W. A St., Galt: Service at 10 a.m.
- Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, Sixth and E streets, Galt: Worship services at 8 and 10:30 a.m.; breakfast, 9:15 a.m.
- St. Annes Catholic Church, 215 W. Walnut St., Lodi: Holy Saturday Mass at 8:30 p.m. in English and 11 p.m. in Spanish; Easter Sunday service at 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. in English and 12:30 p.m. in Spanish.
- St. Christophers Catholic Church, 950 S. Lincoln Way, Galt: Easter Vigil with baptisms at 8 p.m. today; Easter services in English at 8 and 10 a.m. Sunday and in Spanish at 12:30 p.m.
- St. Joachim Catholic Church, 13392 Lockeford Ranch Road, Lockeford: Vigil Mass at 7 p.m. today; Easter Mass in English at 9:15 a.m. Sunday and in Spanish at Sunday at 11:30 a.m.
- St. Lukes Episcopal Church, Third and B streets, Galt: Easter vigil at 8:30 p.m. today; Holy Communion and Flowering of the Cross at 10 a.m. on Sunday.
- St. Paul Lutheran Church, Lee Avenue and Tokay Street, Lodi: Sunrise service at 6 a.m. Sunday at St. Paul; 9 a.m. service at English Oaks Seventh-day Adventist Church, Century Boulevard and Ham Lane. Fellowship after both services.
- Temple Baptist Church, 801 S. Lower Sacramento Road, Lodi: The Power of His Love featuring choir and drama ministries and a readers theater group, at 6:30 p.m. Sunday in the worship center. No admission charge.
- United Congregational Christian Church, Hutchins and Tokay streets, Lodi: Service at 9:15 a.m. on Sunday will feature anthems by the Chancel Choir. A childrens Easter egg hunt will follow.
- Woodbridge Community Church, 19350 N. Lower Sacramento Road, Woodbridge: Sunrise service at 6:30 a.m., morning service with youth group producing a drama called Three Trees at 10:30 a.m., Easter egg hunt at 10:30 a.m.
- Zion Reformed Church, 105 S. Ham Lane, Lodi: Pancake breakfast at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, Easter egg hunt at 9:15 a.m., flowering of the cross at 9:30 a.m., Easter worship at 10 a.m.
Comments about this story? Send mail to the News-Sentinel newsroom.